Photo by Amy Smart
Thanks to everybody who came to our Dots and Loops night, and thanks to Flatpack for inviting us to do it. It was a lot of fun for us to recap on our careers so far. Our choice of films were quite revealing in the end, giving us a nice perspective for ourselves about where we are so far and what we’d like to create in the future.
It was nice to see other people get a kick out of the event too. Ashleigh Goodwin at Birmingham Review did a nice write up of the evening. We’ve become very used to the concept of short form film screenings, so it’s surprising when it proves an education to somebody new. I hope it has people searching out similar events. You can read the review HERE.
If you want to relive the night. Get a pint, sit in a hard chair, and turn the lights off while watching these films. Enjoy:
The first section focused on our film festival favourites and influences, with Message in A Bottle and Man In A Cat providing our first foot holds into the filmmaking and comedy community.
- Message In A Bottle – Louis Hudson
- Lesley the Pony Has an A+ Day! – Christian Larrave
- A Heap Of Trouble – Steve Sullivan
- Who I Am And What I Want – Chris Shepherd & David Shrigley
- Man In A Cat – Louis Hudson & Ian Ravenscroft
- Sproutmas – Louis Hudson
The second section was a light hearted, Christmas sprinkled affair, with a focus on how much effort goes into crafting comedy.
- Christmas Card – Terry Gilliam
- Bottom: Holy
- Don’t Fear Death – Louis Hudson & Ian Ravenscroft
- Rejected – Don Hertzfeldt
- Myszochujek (Penismouse) – Not Will Anderson
- Gregory Is A Dancer – Louis Hudson & Ian Ravenscroft
- Croissant – Louis Hudson & Ian Ravenscroft
- Bang Bang It’s Reeves and Mortimer: Trees
- Fast Show: The Hurried Poor
- Breakfast Sketch – Morecambe and Wise
- Backwards Banana – Louis Hudson
- Cigarette Break – Louis Hudson & Ross Butter
In the third act, we showed some films that reminded us of simpler times. For an evening that felt like a throwback to us hosting Popcorn Comedy it was nice to dig out some favourites from those days when everybody seemed to be having a go at making shortform comedy on YouTube.
- Danger Mouse: Custard
- DuckManBoy – Louis Hudson & Ian Ravenscroft
- Boogodobiegodongo – Peter Millard
- Bored Stiff – Louis Hudson
- brillso brothers – best, brilliant breakfast – Swatpaz
- CGI-Brows – Rocket Sausage
- Equestrian Dressage – Doc Brown
- Carpark – Birdbox
- Masterchef Synesthesia (Buttery Biscuit Bass) – Swede Mason
- Slimmer of the Year – Louis Hudson